Are you a coffee connoisseur who needs an espresso on the go?
It’s no fun to go for hours or days without coffee, and it’s worse if you need authentic espresso. Today I am going to throw the spotlight on a truly portable manual espresso maker, the Handpresso.
The Handpresso Pump Set comes with a nice padded carrying case, a Handpresso, a thermos stainless steel flask, 4 plastic demitasse cups, and a cleaning cloth. You can store everything in the carrying case and bring it with you.
The concept behind Handpresso is simple; it travels with you everywhere so you can have an espresso ANYWHERE. It is compact, lightweight, highly portable, and stylish. It requires no battery or electricity.
Handpresso is simple, fast, and easy to brew. Did I mention it is easy to clean too?
Whether you are on a business trip or at home, or for those who love camping, going on picnics, hiking, cycling, or traveling, Handpresso will definitely be your best choice.
Here is a partial teardown photo showing all the parts in the Handpresso.
Portafilter with high-quality parts.
This is a unique portable espresso maker that is designed with the flexibility to use both a Domepod (pre-ground coffee) and E.S.E. pod (capsule-like Easy Serving Espresso pod).
To brew, simply use the hand pump to generate the necessary 16 bars of pressure (green zone on the pressure gauge).
Fill the reservoir with hot water.
Drop in the Domepod (or E.S.E. pod).
Screw on the portafilter.And push the button to dispense the espresso.
The quality of design and construction is excellent. The device is very well made with a combination of metal and high-quality plastic. This handy little device makes a really delicious, rich cup of espresso. Handpresso is able to produce a rich tasty cup of espresso complete with a nice little layer of crema on top.
Handpresso is a little over one pound by itself and can be stored easily in a drawer due to its small footprint, or can be dropped in a backpack if you are out and about.
Here shows the coffee puck after extraction. Coffee puck is the coffee ground residue that you remove from the espresso maker after the brewing process. It should be firm and dry. Adjust your grinder accordingly if you can’t get a good puck, as this is essential if you want to get the best out of the Handpresso.
Pros of Handpresso
- Solid and portable espresso maker.
- Well made with high-quality materials.
- Uses both pre-ground coffee and E.S.E. pod.
- Produces a very decent quality espresso shot.
- Easy to pump and use.
- Easy cleanup.
- Quiet operation.
- No filter is needed.
- Only good for one person. Expect some waiting time if you have to make multiple cups.
- Tamping the filter basket before brewing can be a little messy. However, E.S.E. pod will take care of this if ground coffee is not your forte.
- The placement of the brew button can be improved because it makes it too easy to push the button unintentionally when you are not ready to brew yet.
Pro tips for using Handpresso
- The end of the pump handle can be used as a tamper if you choose to use domepod. Always tamp the grounds to help a better extraction.
- Use fresh coffee and grind it before brewing, ideally 3 minutes before making espresso.
- For the best results when brewing, preheat the water reservoir and portafilter with hot water. Dump the water out and refill with hot water again, then follow with the normal procedure. This will ensure minimal heat loss and the right amount of espresso yields.
- Once you screw the portafilter on Handpresso, flip it and wait for 5-10 seconds before pushing the brew button down. This is to mimic the pre-infusion, or pre-wet as some refer to it, in order to saturate the coffee grounds before brewing for optimal taste.
Overall, I am very pleased with Handpresso from built quality to espresso quality. While this will not truly replace prosumer grade espresso machines as it doesn’t have constant 9 bar pressure, the Handpresso delivers decent quality espresso if you know how to use it correctly. As always, patience is key here when we talk about making a good espresso.
I would recommend Handpresso to anyone looking for a quality espresso on the go, I am sure you will be satisfied with the quality of espresso that it delivers, ANYWHERE!
Where to get your Handpresso
Note: The Handpresso Pump Set was provided for this review. Opinions are our own.