Need to unwind after a hard day at work or find an excuse to invite friends over to try out your new cocktail?
We have a new coffee cocktail for you. Combining espresso with booze and Calpico – heartwarming for cold weather. If you love sipping both coffee and alcohol at the same time, you’ll love Midnight Roast.
Warm beverages are perfect for chilly winter nights. Midnight Roast is a warm alcoholic cocktail specially created for cold nights and the holiday season. It is my third cocktail concoction using Japanese-made beverages. First was SaPresso using nigori sake and the second was CC Sour using Calpico and served cold.
Here I am using the original Calpico concentrate for Midnight Roast. It is important to use high-quality coffee beans for your espresso.
What is Calpico?
Calpico is a Japanese non-carbonated beverage made from milk and lactobacillus (friendly bacteria). It resembles yogurt. It is light and milky, has a sweet and tangy taste with notes of citrus.
This was started by Kaiun Mishima in 1904 after his return to Japan from Mongolia. While in Mongolia, he suffered from indigestion. But his health problems disappeared after drinking Mongolian cultured milk. He also noticed the Mongolians were healthy despite having long cold winters and a hard environment.
Developed as a health drink, Calpico was officially launched in 1919. It was soon crowned as the first lactic acid drink in Japan. The drink has several microorganisms to produce so-called lactic acid fermentation. Calpico became a popular drink in Japan with consumers of all ages from youth to the elderly.
Calpico comes in several flavors like mango, peach, strawberry, grape, and apple. You can find Calpico concentrate, Calpico Water, and a carbonated version known as Calpico Soda.
- 2 oz of espresso or strong brewed coffee
- 1 oz of Calpico concentrate
- 1 oz Kahlúa (Coffee-flavored sugar-based liqueur)
- 1 oz Spiced Rum
- Mix Calpico concentrate, Kahlúa, and Spiced Rum well in a glass and let it sit for several minutes.
- Extract espresso from an espresso machine and let it drip directly into the same glass.
- Stir it well and garnish with crushed coffee beans on top.
- I measured all the ingredients with a jigger and a shot glass.
- I used an espresso machine to pull my shot. If you don’t have one, you can make it with a regular coffee maker by grinding the coffee beans finer, or by increasing the coffee-to-water ratio. Or use a moka pot to brew a strong cup of coffee.
This is a cozy drink which will gently warm your throat and heart. It is light and easy. I enjoy drinking Midnight Roast right after dinner. Midnight roast is light and bittersweet with a hint of tart. It goes well with any sweet dessert. It is a well-balanced cocktail which doesn’t contain too much alcohol and caffeine. I’d say this is the best cocktail after a hearty Chinese, Italian, or Mediterranean cuisine.
Coffee and alcohol combo on a cold night, you definitely have to try it for yourself!
Article and photos by Latte Art Guy