You probably have heard of bubble tea might have even tried it. But have you tried iced bubble coffee?
In case you haven’t heard of it, iced bubble tea is a tea-based drink with milk and contains little black balls made of starch called tapioca pearls.
Tapioca pearls are a product extracted from the cassava root. They have a chewy texture. The consistency of these little black pearls is somewhat a cross between Jell-O and chewing gum. In fact, they remind me of gummy bears, my all-time favorite candy, although softer.
So, in the spirit of summer, I am going to take your regular iced coffee to the next level by turning it into iced bubble coffee, served chilled over ice. This is a fun and easy beverage to make at home that you can enjoy throughout the hot day.
- French press
- Cooking pot
- Tall glass
- Thick/fat bubble tea straw (disposable or stainless steel)
- Measuring cup
- 1 cup of tapioca pearls
- 25g of ground coffee
- 4 oz of milk
- 2 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 30 oz of water
- 5-6 ice cubes
Tapioca pearl preparation
Tapioca pearls take some time to prepare and cook, but the result is rewarding. Cook them according to the package instructions.
1. Fill the pot with 6 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
2. Measure one cup of tapioca pearls and add into boiling water.
3. Cook with high heat for 2 minutes.
4. Turn the heat down to medium and continue to cook for 20 minutes. Stir every 2-3 minutes to avoid sticking.
5. Turn the heat off, put a lid on and let it sit for 25 minutes.
6. Drain the hot water out and cool them down in a cold water bath.
7. Mix in honey and stir gently.
8. Tapioca pearls are ready to serve. Set aside for later use.
9. Bring water up to a boil.
10. Pour ground coffee into a French press.
11. Pour in hot water.
12. Put the cover on and let it brew for 4 minutes.
13. Press the plunger down slowly, applying steady pressure.
14. Pour the coffee into an empty kettle or container and let it cool down.
15. Stir milk in the coffee.
16. Stir sweetened condensed milk in.
17. Scoop tapioca pearls in a tall glass.
18. Put ice cubes in.
19. Pour in milk coffee.
20. Insert a straw and drink right away!
Whether you enjoy sunbathing by the pool, hosting backyard parties or simply chilling on a porch, there is nothing more refreshing than sipping this iced bubble coffee to beat the heat. I am sure this will tickle your taste buds and hit the sweet spot at the same time while you are having fun under the sun. Stay cool!
Photos and article by Latte Art Guy