Fine coffee takes time and patience to brew. A siphon coffee maker is one of the coffee brewing gadgets that makes a good cup of joe, however it requires time and labor. To me, making coffee with a siphon is like doing a school science project using beakers and test tubes. It is fun and amazing to watch the whole process.
The siphon coffee maker was invented back in the 1830s and it is making a huge comeback now due to the third wave of coffee. People are looking for high quality coffee, and consider coffee as a specialty beverage rather than a commodity.
Siphon is well-known for being able to produce coffee with moderate body and excellent clarity, along with a bright and rich flavor profile. I want it to be even more luxurious, so I am going to add in English toffee syrup to soften and enhance the taste of coffee. The presence of brown sugar or molasses in English toffee is able to give siphon coffee a polished aftertaste that lingers longer.
- Siphon coffee maker
- Kitchen scale
- Heat source
- Coffee cup
- Wooden stir stick
- Digital timer or clock
• 35 grams of ground coffee
• 300 grams of water
• English toffee coffee syrup
1. Weigh 35 grams of ground coffee.
2. Measure 300 grams of water.
3. Turn on the heat source and start heating the water up. My siphon kit came with a burner that uses denatured alcohol for fuel; however I am using an adjustable butane burner for better temperature control throughout the process.
4. Place upper vessel in place when water is starting to boil.
5. As the water boils, it will travel up the siphon tube and fill the upper vessel.
6. Add ground coffee.
7. Stir gently to fully saturate all grounds. Let the coffee brew for 1 minute.
8. Remove siphon coffee maker from its heat source.
9. A vacuum will be created and coffee will draw downward and rest in the bottom globe chamber.
10. Gently remove the upper chamber and add 1 tablespoon of English toffee syrup.
11. Pour and serve!
This coffee is perfect for coffee lovers who don’t mind a little hard work, appreciate both the body and clarity of this coffee, and enjoy the joyful science experiment.
Let’s start your day with this English Toffee Siphon Coffee and bring the art of coffee brewing to a new level!
Photos and article by Latte Art Guy