Winter is the best time of year to indulge in a variety of hot drinks. Hot chocolate might be the first thing that comes to mind for most people, but there is one beverage that I’d encourage you to try – cinnamon swirl latte.
My homemade cinnamon swirl latte is aromatic, hot and spicy, the perfect solution to warm up on a cold winter morning. In addition to fighting the chill, cinnamon swirl latte is also packed with a bundle of health benefits.
According to Dr. Axe, cinnamon has 13 health benefits. It has a high source of antioxidant, contains anti-inflammatory properties, protects heart health, helps fight diabetes, protects brain function and much more. I’m not a health professional, but these health benefits sound good to me.
Ready to try a cinnamon swirl latte at home? Here is my easy step by step guide including photographs:
1. Mix ground cinnamon and ground coffee together and place in the filter basket.
2. Brew 2 ounces of cinnamon infused espresso with an espresso machine, or any other brewing methods. Set it aside.
NOTE: You can opt for a strong coffee using other brewing methods such as a Moka pot, French press, and Aeropress if you don’t have an espresso machine at home. You’ll get equally delicious espresso using these methods.
Additional information on how to use a Moka pot, French press and Aeropress is available on our blog. Please read: (1) How to Brew Espresso with Moka Pot (2) How to Make Coffee with French press (3) How to Brew Coffee with Aeropress
3. Concoct condensed milk with regular milk and put them in a frothing pitcher.
If you don’t have a steam wand, use a handheld milk frother or even a mason jar. Read an article I wrote about how to make latte art without coffee machines. In the article, I demonstrated how to use a mason jar (or an empty pasta sauce jar), French press or a handheld milk frother to froth warm milk.
4. Froth the mixture until the temperature reaches 160 to 170°F.
5. Pour frothed milk into a preheated glass or cup.
6. Swirl in the cinnamon infused espresso.
7. Sprinkle ground cinnamon on top for added flavor.
8. Stir lightly with a cinnamon stick and leave it in.
9. Ready to serve!
Coffee lovers are certainly a creative bunch. We always come up with new ideas to jazz the caffeine up. It doesn’t have to be complicated. A cinnamon swirl latte is a simple, delicious way to flavor your brew anytime of the day. So get warmed up around your fireplace with this warming beverage.
Photos and article by Latte Art Guy